My name is David Leslie, and I work on the QuestionPoint team. I've been helping to organize your feedback for our developers so they can address the Flash Chat pilot issues you’ve raised via the feedback form, webinars, and list serve.
I want to assure you that we’ve read each message and have noted every concern. We do apologize for any delay in getting back to those of you who asked to be contacted.
Several of the issues raised have already been addressed; the results will be apparent in the install planned for February 12. An example is the new Patron alert.
We are also working very hard to address the issues you've been having with co-browse during the pilot. Here are two resources to help you ensure that your workstations are optimized to use Flash Chat.
Several "viewlets", or Flash movies that take you step by step from setting up your browser to working with patrons. You can watch the viewlets using any web browser at
The attached brief checklist of the browser configurations covered by the viewlets as well as how to start a practice session.
BROWSER CONFIGURATIONS CHECKLIST
Please check with your IT department to see if your network is using a proxy server for your HTTP traffic. If so, please ask them to exempt all traffic from questionpoint.org on port 80. This is to prevent the proxy server from becoming out of sync with the chat session (which will refresh every 3 to 5 seconds over that port)
Currently you must use Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. You must also have Microsoft VM installed on your workstation (you should already have this).
A link to the download site is available in the Login Announcements area on your QuestionPoint home page.
1. Start IE.
2. Make sure Microsoft VM is enabled.
a. Go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced.
b. Make sure Java (Sun) is NOT checked.
c. Under Microsoft VM, check the box to enable Java logging and the JIT compiler.
3. Restart your workstation.
Next, we want to be sure that your browser’s Temporary Internet files or cache is cleared:
1. Open an IE browser
2. Click on Tools/Internet Options.
3. From the Temporary Internet Files section under the General Tab, click on the Settings button.
4. Click "Every visit to the page," then click OK.
5. From the Temporary Internet Files section, click the Delete Files button.
6. Put a check in the "All offline content box," then click OK.
7. Click OK to close the Options menu.
Starting a Flash Chat Practice session
1. Log into QuestionPoint
2. Click on 'Flash Chat Pilot'
3. Select Practice Queue Only, click Submit, and close the Queues window.
5. Click on 'Flash Chat Patron Test Form'
6. Submit the practice form
7. From your monitor, click on the Patron
8. Click on co-browse to open the Co-browse window.
To send a page to the patron, fill out the URL and click the ' > '
To send a text message, type in the box and then click the Send button. (In February, you will alternatively by able to press <Enter> on your keyboard.
To exit co-browse, click on Exit. This does NOT end the chat session (both the patron and the librarian will be given dialog box alerts)
9. To end the chat session, click on End Session in the lower right of the chat monitor.
Product Implementation & Support Analyst QuestionPoint Team