One of the Top 10 Quality issues of 2012 relates to IM/Transfer: the chatting librarian either (1) incorrectly transferred a chat, (2) transferred a chat without using IM first or (3) the librarian should have offered the transfer option but did not.
QuestionPoint’s IM feature is a backchannel chat that enables librarians to chat with any other librarian monitoring the same queues. It’s important to know how the QP IM works so that you can send and receive messages with other Coop librarians and QP Backup staff. IM is used whenever a librarian wants to transfer a patron to you (or if you want to transfer a patron to another librarian). It is also used by the Backup librarians as a way to communicate with Cooperative librarians who may not be picking up patrons.
To send or reply to an IM message, you must use the IM tab in the QP librarian chat monitor. The IM tab is next to the Patron Chat tab. Here is the process to follow when a librarian sends you an IM session:
1. An alert will pop up accompanied by a sound.
2. Click the “Close” button in the alert box, to dismiss the alert.
3. Click the IM tab.
4. Click on the name of the person who sent you the message in the “My Active IM Sessions” list. (this can be found in the lower left part of your screen)
5. This will open a session between you and the librarian who sent the message. You can now read the IM message in the transcript box.
6. Type your response in the Message box, then press the Enter key or click Send
For a nice demonstration of how the IM works , take a look at this video prepared by Jaclyn McKewan, coordinator of Ask Us 24/7 (our NY state cooperative group). The group uses this in their training to illustrate how to contact other librarians who are concurrently monitoring chat and how to transfer a session. IM and Transfer
For further information:
24/7 Policies on IM and Transfer: http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#53TransferringSessions